Bootcamps & Coaching
For when you need a boost with your homeschooling journey, we’ve handpicked and invited a range of experts to help you.
During the bootcamp, we will:
- Examine what REALLY MATTERS in terms of what you should “teach” and how to know if your kid is “getting it.”
- Explore methods, tools and options for kids with alternative learning styles and needs.
- Talk about multi-level teaching and how to juggle a 5 year old learning to read alongside one in high school.
- Examine ways to maximize learning wherever you are and how to use local communities for the educational benefit of your kids.
- Explore why we shouldn’t really care what the public schools are teaching and whether we are “keeping up.”
- Look specifically at high school and how to cover the bases for kids as they move towards higher education
- Understand options for university entrance and how to get around standardized testing.
- Learn how to position and leverage your child’s time OUT of the system as their greatest asset.
Who this is for:
- Parents who are considering homeschooling because the school restrictions for next year due to COVID-19 seem unmanageable.
- Parents who have considered homeschooling in the past but haven’t quite made the leap.
- Parents who recognise the shortcomings in traditional education and want to add to their kids’ educations at home, even though they’re still attending school.
- Supportive adults (grandparents, childcare givers, older siblings, bonus parents & community members) who want to understand and perhaps participate in the unique education of a child they love.
- Alternative educators such as forest school practitioners, adults wanting to run homeschool activities and more.
- Anyone looking to expand their concept of education and be part of the change for the next generation.
- Each bootcamp last for 5 hours, typically split over a weekend.
- Group sizes are between 5 and 15 people.
- Bootcamp fees are $150 per person.
Join A Scheduled Bootcamp:
- July 11th, 2020 @ 12pm – 2.30pm EST / 5pm – 7.30pm BST and 12th July @ 12pm – 2.30pm EST / 5pm – 7.30pm BST.
- July 16th, 2020 @ 1pm – 3.30pm EST / 6pm – 8.30pm BST and July 17th @ 1pm – 3.30pm EST / 6pm – 8.30pm BST.
Schedule Your Own Group Bootcamp: Organise your own private group, at a time that works for you for a minimum of 5 and maximum of 15 people.
Book Your Bootcamp Place
Before booking your place, please ensure you read and agree to the following terms for participating in a Bootcamp:
1. All fees for a Bootcamp are non-refundable. However, if you are unable to attend the Bootcamp for any reason and notify us within seven days of the scheduled start for the Bootcamp, we will offer you an alternative Bootcamp to attend.
2. There may be circumstances in which we need to cancel or reschedule a Bootcamp. In such circumstances, we will provide you with the option of a full refund or attendance at another scheduled Bootcamp.
3. If you act in any way which, in our opinion, is likely to cause any harm or nuisance to any person at the Bootcamp, you will be required to leave the Bootcamp and we shall not be liable to refund your fee or any other payment.
4. You agree to respect and protect your fellow Bootcamp participants’ privacy and any confidential information shared with you at all times.
5. The copyright for any materials used at the Bootcamp (including notes, slides, brochures, articles and case studies) belongs to Headstart Homeschooling and may not be reproduced in any medium or shared without our prior written consent.
6. You may not at any time copy, reproduce, publish in any form, share, sell, dispose of or otherwise make available to a third party in any way any of the content or materials that we use in the Bootcamp.
7. You must keep all information discussed in the Bootcamp strictly confidential at all times.
8. We grant to you a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sub licensable revocable licence to use all or any of the content or material used in the Bootcamp for the purposes for which the Bootcamp was provided only.
9. You may not, without our prior written consent make any audio or visual recordings or take photographs of all or any part of a Bootcamp. However you agree that we may take photographs or film the Bootcamp for any purpose, including promotional purposes.
10. These Terms shall be governed by English Law and your hereby submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts.
Headstart SET UP
You’ve made the decision to homeschool your kids but the task ahead seems daunting. You’d love some expert help to figure out the approach and curriculum that best suits your children and how to implement that within your unique family circumstances.
You want to work with an experienced expert who understands the challenges, can share the things you don’t yet know and who has a wealth of knowledge and experience, rather than having to learn everything from scratch, the hard way.
This package includes:
- Three x 1 hour calls with the expert of your choice.
- Two hours of your chosen expert’s dedicated time, to research and assemble the resources that will suit your specific needs.
- Email access in between scheduled calls to the expert with a 48-hour turn around.
During your Headstart Set Up time, you’ll:
- Identify any particular needs unique to your family situation, and how to meet these needs.
- Understand the opportunities and options available to you and your family.
- Identify resources that will support the vision you have for your children.
- Craft a plan that works for your family.
- Connect you with resources to facilitate your plan.
- Address common challenges, like scheduling, de-schooling, and juggling remote work, or teaching more than one child at a time.
- Troubleshoot any current struggles you’re having with your kids that might bleed over into the homeschool process.
Work with the expert of your choice and receive FIVE HOURS of expert help to set up your homeschooling plans and ready to go.
Book A Set Up Session
Before completing your payment, please read and agree to our Terms of Service below:
1. Payment is payable either (a) in full or (b) in 4 instalments of $125 per month for 4 months.
2. You may cancel this agreement within 14 days of the date of your payment. Please email us stating clearly your wish to cancel and we will provide you with a full refund.
3. Due to the nature of coaching and the fact that your success is dependent on a number of factors over which we have no control, we do not guarantee any particular results.
4. We will endeavour to ensure that all information that we provide is accurate and up-to-date but we shall not be liable for any claims arising from such information being inaccurate or not up-to-date or otherwise.
5. We acknowledge that in the course of this coaching we will have access to your confidential information and we agree not to (except in the proper course of our duties) use or disclose to any third party such confidential information. This restriction does not apply to:
- any use or disclosure authorised by you or required by law;
- any use or disclosure which we, in our absolute discretion, consider necessary or advisable in order to prevent illegal acts or harm to you or to others; or
- any information which is already in, or comes into, the public domain otherwise than through our unauthorised disclosure.
6. We are the owner or the licensee of all Intellectual Property Rights and all other rights used in the coaching and all content within the coaching and nothing in these Terms or otherwise shall operate to transfer the ownership of the Intellectual Property Rights of the coaching or the content of the coaching to you or to any other person.
7. You may not at any time copy, reproduce, publish in any form, share, sell, dispose of or otherwise make available to a third party in any way any of the content or materials contained in the coaching.
8. We grant to you a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sub licensable revocable licence to use all or any of the content of the coaching for the purposes for which the coaching was provided only.
9. You may not without our prior written consent make any audio or visual recordings of any part of the coaching sessions.
10. Our total liability in contract, tort (including negligence or breach of statutory duty), misrepresentation, restitution or otherwise arising in connection with the performance of this agreement shall in all circumstances be limited to the price paid by you for the coaching.
11. If we are prevented from or delayed in performing our obligations by your act or omission or by any circumstance outside of our control, we shall not be liable to you for any costs, charges or losses sustained or incurred by you that arise directly or indirectly from such prevention or delay.
12. We shall not be not liable for additional costs incurred by you as a result of changes in (i) the coaching, (ii) any other content, (iii) the time and date of sessions or (iv) experts, consultants or coaches.
The fees for a Headstart Homeschooling SET UP package are $500.
Pay In Full:
Pay in 4 installments of $125, over 4 months:
Homeschooling can feel daunting particularly if you’re new to the adventure or even if you’ve been homeschooling for a while but feel like you’re losing your way. It can be invaluable to have a place to turn to for ongoing support for any unexpected and unforeseen challenges, as you and your children learn together.
There’s no need to go it alone…Stay on track with regular expert help from a family learning coach who can help you craft a world class education for your kids, outside the classroom.
Headstart Monthly Includes:
- A weekly one-on-one call with the expert of your choice, to celebrate successes and troubleshoot any challenges as they arise.
- Unlimited email access, with a 48-hour response time.
- Membership of the Headstart Homeschooling Facebook community.
This is an opportunity to continue to dive deeper and have the support and resources of an educational coach “on tap.”
Sign Up For Monthly Support
The monthly fees for Headstart MONTHLY are $400 per month.
What People Say
I knew from the very beginning that I wanted to offer my son Bran an alternative way to learning, but after sitting in the Bootcamp, I realized I didn’t have to navigate the waters alone!
I left the day feeling inspired, empowered, and ready and it’s all thanks to Jennifer Sutherland-Miller and her help to kickstart our journey.
Witnessing first hand her beautiful children and their drive for individuality, success that they choose, and interest to continue their learning showed me it is possible to make the world citizens we need to continue to make the world a better place for our children and our children’s children.
Bravo to the hard work, bravo to the dedication, and bravo to sharing your beautiful story. Positively wonderful!
I started unsure of what I wanted and with the general feeling that I’m just not a business-y person. After working with Lea, I felt far more sure of myself than I’ve ever been and I have prioritized, clear plan of what I want for myself and my projects.
What I love about Lea’s approach is that she takes personal and work into equal account. We not only talk business but all parts of our lives and how they fit together. It’s about creating a life with all the elements that are most important to us.
I attended a full day workshop on Worldschooling with Jenn, and went in with good expectations based on my knowledge of her work. I’m pleased to say these lofty expectations were wildly exceeded!
Jenn has walked the walk when it comes to providing a robust education for children in a non-traditional environment, and it shows in her knowledge and enthusiasm. Her experience as an educator allowed her to cover the full spectrum of home school styles while remaining objective and facilitating a great discussion among the participants.
Of particular interest to me were the pathways and options for successfully getting home schooled kids into university. She presented fantastic resources on that, stressing the importance of documenting learning, and included some examples of university entrance transcripts from her own children.
I walked away with a much clearer idea of the options and direction of where I want to take my home school, and a renewed vigour for it.
"Jennifer has not only guided me on my worldschooling journey to become fully location-independent, but has SHOWN me exactly how great it feels to walk the talk.
If you're questioning whether this lifestyle is for you, you should really be asking if it is worth missing out on a lifetime of learning and adventure... Jennifer helped me find to find that answer for myself. (It's a heck no, by the way.)"
Jennifer Sutherland-Miller is, in my opinion, the world’s leading expert on “Worldschooling”.
A teacher and alternative educator herself, she has developed a living understanding of various educational methodologies, and has supported her own children from birth to university while traveling.
Beyond her unique knowledge and keen ability to share this knowledge, Jen is also a caring friend, a strong advocate for social justice, and someone I am proud to be working with on the Family Adventure Summit and the Family Adventure Academy.
If you get the opportunity to spend time learning from her, you will not come away disappointed.
One of my biggest hurdles is maintaining my location independence goals. Working with Lea Jovy completely rectifies this. Lea has the ability to wade through all my objections, hidden fears and gaps in knowledge to get to the heart of where I truly want to go and crystallise a plan immediately.
I always leave our sessions with structured key directional goals, methodical steps to achieve them, a peace of mind and lightness in my mindset and a warmth in my heart that comes from having a good conversation with a friend.
Jenn Sutherland-Miller – Educational Expert
Jenn Sutherland-Miller has over 20 years of experience supporting families in developing world class educations for their children outside the four walls of a classroom.
In addition to successfully homeschooling her own four children, from birth to university entrance while traveling the world, full time, for over a decade, Jenn has a degree in education and has worked with hundreds of families as a consultant and educational coach.
She has delivered Headstart Bootcamps in four countries and speaks widely on educational reform and integration.
Pete Bowers, Ph.D., is a teacher, researcher, author, and founder of WordWorks Literacy Centre. Pete taught Grades 3-6 for 10 years before earning his Ph.D. from the Faculty of Education at Queen’s University.
Dr. Bowers has been invited to present workshops by countless dyslexia organizations including the Dyslexia Training Institute in San Diego and schools specializing in working with dyslexic students like the Athena Academy in Palo Alto and Eagle Hill School in Massachusetts (See article “Innovative approaches to teaching reading” on page 6 of their school magazine).
His research and practical work with schools and educational groups has been pivotal in transforming how teachers, tutors and students around the world understand English spelling. Instead of putting up with a frustrating system full of exceptions, the structured word inquiry (SWI) community understands that investigating the spelling-meaning connections in words is not only rich literacy instruction — it is a rich context for leveraging learning about any subject.
His teacher resource book, Teaching How the Written Word Works expands on the lessons of his vocabulary intervention (Bowers & Kirby, 2010) which found generative vocabulary learning for the experimental group, and introduced the term “structured word inquiry.” His workshops have taken him to Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia, the Middle East, and North America.
Lea Jovy is a pioneer of the location independent, digital nomad and work from anywhere movement. She has worked solely online since 2006 and has run her own business from all over the world. She has crafted a lifestyle of freedom that combines earning her own income, homeschooling her children and being part of a same-sex blended family with 2 bonus children.
She has helped thousands of other families become location independent and create the lifestyles they want which often includes home- or world-schooling.
Particularly adept at working with women who struggle to find the balance and time for themselves, Lea excels at helping mothers carve out projects and ventures for themselves, to become the role models they want for their children, leveraging online strategies, models and tools to integrate work, life and homeschooling into a life they want.
Carone Beaucage – Waldorf Steiner Expert
Carone is a parent, former camp director, and Waldorf teacher. She received her Waldorf Teaching certificate from the Steiner Centre in Toronto in 2003. She has also worked with children and families in other settings, such as agency work supporting children with special needs. Carone values non-traditional learning experiences, such as world schooling, home schooling, and good old-fashioned work!
Her extensive travels have given her an interest in international perspectives on childhood, which she is now studying. She lives in a noisy, multi-generational household on Wolfe Island with her musical family. Carone loves spending time in the outdoors, especially dogsledding — but don’t mention it, ‘cause she’ll talk your ear off about it!
Jenni Mahnaz – Self Directed Learning/Unschooling Expert
Jenni Mahnaz has over a decade of experience in self-directed education. Having helped many young people design their own educational experiences in various settings, Jenni eventually ventured into consultations for families looking for a unique and intrinsically motivated educational experience for their young people.
In addition to a wealth of experience in the self-directed world, Jenni has also worked in various conventional schooling models and has a unique ability to explore and integrate practices and systems most people are familiar with into a whole new way of pursuing education.